7 August 2012

A fascinator and some felt ................


I needed a fascinator to wear with my turquoise and white outfit which I will be wearing for our nephews wedding this coming Saturday but coudn't find exactly the right shade of turquoise - so my daughter Andrea and I set to and made this fabulous creation (this was a joint creation even though I've added my watermark to the photo - thank you Andrea!).
We wrapped 23mm turquoise organza around the top edge of a clear plastic fascinator comb to make a base for the other ribbons.  We made a looped rosette of turquoise 16mm grosgrain ribbon (and found some clothes pegs came in handy to keep the loops in place until they were stitched together).  The grosgrain was stitched to the organza base, then we stitched on a rosette of 23mm organza ribbon. 

 Next we stitched in some feathers with diamante on silver wires  -   this was hard work and Andrea had to use a pair of pliers to pull the needle through the various layers - we couldn't find our hot glue gun which would have been much easier!  The top layer is loops of white organza looped trim stitched in place with a 15mm sparkly acrylic button.  When it was almost complete we glued in a few feathers between the ribboned comb and the bottom layer of grosgrain using glossy accents.


This photo shows the fascinator with my clutch bag - we were really pleased with how this turned out and it just goes to show that where there's a will (and a crafter or two) there's a way!  Now I need a matching brooch to wear on my white jacket ........

o0o

Now onto this weeks Papertake Weekly challenge which is anything goes with the option of adding felt - please take a look at the gorgeous collection of cards by the design team, well worth a look.  Here is my card

I stamped my image onto watercolour paper and painted it with distress inks.  I used the sizzix to cut my felt flowers using three colours from the 6" Citrus Fruits Felt Pack, poked a hole in the centre with a pin then added a jewelled brad from my stash.  I added cream cluny lace, a strip of organza looped trim, a pastel heart pin and then leaves cut with my MS punch a magnolia swirl.


I made a small bow with organza looped trim and tied on a small butter yellow plain button with natural button twine.  The sentiment is Papertrey Ink stamped in cocoa brown
See you soon, Mary G x

9 comments:

Teresa said...

It's a stunning fascinator Mary, beautiful colour and a gorgeous card too. Teresa x

Mandy said...

oh Mary what a great job you and Andrea did with your fascinator! It looks absolutely stunning. Love your card, the colours look amazing as do the felt flowers!

xx

Unknown said...

what a fabulous fascinator truly a beautiful colour you'll look amazing..i had to aler mine for my sons wedding i put it on the bed admiring all the lovey ivory feathers and a few pearls i bought it originally ..BUT i forgot to put it away and the ruddy cat attacked it i went in to find feathers everywhere...so trusty glue gun and a new lot of ivory feathers and ended up with a better one than i bought hehe,hugs sassy xx

Mau xx said...

Well aren't you a talented Pair :)
It is beautiful Mary and you are going to look Stunning!
I hope the weather forecast proves true and the Sun really shines on the Bride and groom XX and you of course.
Have a lovely day xx
Hugs Mau xx

Lorraine A said...

WOW !!! your fascinator is bloomin brilliant !! WOW !!! :-) I will need to see a piccy of you all scrubbed up in your outfit now :-)

Love your card too ,,, soo cute and you get an extra gold star for addng felt :-)

luv
Lols x x x

Grenouille Greetings said...

Two lovely makes, Mary! I'm fascinated by your fascinator! What a fabulous job you and your daughter did! And your card is lovely! Wonderful orange shades and perfect ribbons and flowers. Hugs, Lesley

Inkypinkydelights said...

Beautiful card Mary, and oh WOW your Fascinator is amazing! How wonderful that you can say you have made it yourself and I bet it tops most of the bought ones too! Enjoy your day! Judy x

Brodders said...

Lovely Mary, great mustardy colours. Do you think I need some distress markers ? - Jane x

Lozzy said...

your cards and the fascinator you and your daughter made are gorgeous. love the colour you have pick and it matches your bag a treat. you will look lovely, have a good day xx