21 July 2017

A doll in the style of Jane Austen .....


Jane Austen doll using a Tilda pattern.  I found this very tricky as the arms and legs on this tall and slim doll were very long and narrow, so very difficult to turn right-sides out ready for stuffing - I resorted to using a straw and a crochet hook which helped!   The dress has a lined bodice and tiny lined sleeves were a nightmare - I stitched one of them on inside out and had to unpick, it was like making a standard frock but in miniature - my fingers could do with being a bit more nimble :-)  HOWEVER, I am very pleased with the end result and may make another ....


A close up of her top half - I used 'boufle' yarn (a fluffy boucle type yarn) for her hair, which I stitched on, her necklace is 3mm ivory pearl trim, a small piece stitched to the back of the neck under the hair, the lace on her gown is 'Donna' vintage style creamy ivory 12mm cotton lace and I added a sprig of tiny red berries and a light coral 20mm paper rose to her dress and her hair.  I used one fat quarter of printed cotton fabric for her gown and there is a little left for another smaller project

 
I painted on her shoes and the strap with fabric paint, then finished them with a 3mm self adhesive aurea borealis flatback

Thanks for looking, see you soon,
Mary G xx

19 July 2017

Liberty print pin cushion ..



A much needed pin cushion made from a handful of polyester stuffing, a length of embroidery floss, a sparkly button and two Liberty squares which have been in the sewing drawer for many years - at last, I've put them to good use. Sparkly flower button and various pins from www.ribbongirl.co.uk

thanks for looking, see you soon, 
Mary G xx

16 July 2017

Birthday card in denim ....


I've been so busy sewing lately, I havent made a card for a couple of weeks, but managed to make this one for my great-nephew's 14th birthday.  I used Maja Design 'Denim & Friends' 6x6 papers plus the 'Shades of Denim' monochrome 6x6 paper pack for the layers.  Having the exact co-ordinating colours to hand makes it so easy to layer up.

  The sentiment was computer generated and printed directly onto a sheet of Maja paper then cut into strips.  All edges were distressed and inked with blue chalk ink.   I added natural button twine, a wooden star button, blue/white 16mm saddlestitch ribbon and some platignum liquid pearls in the top left hand corner

There is a new 'Use any Image' challenge over on The Ribbon Girl blog and there are three wonderful prizes to win so I hope you will be inspired by the design team makes and come and join in.

Thanks for looking, see you soon
Mary G xx



14 July 2017

Florence the dainty little duck ..............


I'm very fond of ducks - I have china ducks in the house and metal ducks in the garden!  I was keen to stitch this Tilda duck but wanted her to be extra pretty.  I used a lovely fat quarter and some plain calico for the body and only lightly stuffed the wings .  I added some 'Florence' ivory cotton lace around her neck threaded through a square diamante buckle slide. I made the hat with some frilled ivory lace embellished with a peach cherry blossom flower and some pale peach miniature blossoms.  At her neck I added 15mm pale peach satin ribbon.

Florence with a china duck
'Florence' lace slotted through a square diamante buckle slide
25mm ivory frilled lace with peach cherry blossom and peach miniature blossoms plus a small piece of 3mm ivory satin ribbon

Thanks for looking, see you soon,
Mary G xx

12 July 2017

Sydney the Seagull ....

I based my seagull on the Tilda goose pattern, but I drew the beak much longer, and painted it with a Copics pen No. YR24, it gave a good result as I didnt have any fabric paint.  When I stitched the feet I didnt put quite so much stuffing in, and also I stitched between the claws.    Same with the wings, less stuffing and two rows of stitching.  I used calico for the body and some nice linen fabric which I got from John Lewis Plc   My favourite piece of clothing is his had!!  I bought a pack of boy's socks, cut off a piece from the rib to the ankle, tied the top with some rats tail satin cord and snipped the gathered fabric to finish -I was very pleased with the result as I am not very good at knitting!



I added some red tea dyed cotton ribbon and a couple of red polka dot buttons to finish

thanks for looking, see you soon
Mary G xx

Rowena Rabbit ....



This is my first attempt at a Tilda rabbit, the pinafore dress and pantaloons were made from a piece of curtain fabric which resembled linen - I got half a metre of wide fabric for only £2.50!!   I added some appliqued cotton to the front of her dress and hand-stitched around it with pink top stitch thread.  At her neck I tied some 15mm sage green Berisford double sided satin ribbon, and on her hat I used a couple of flowers from 25mm white and pink guipure daisy lace

thanks for looking, see you soon
Mary G x